Saturday, April 07, 2007

Thou Shalt Not Fuss!!!



The skies opened up, the angels sang hosannah and pronounced....

THOU SHALT NOT FUSS!!!!!!

Why this sudden revelation? Well, I took out the mask the "eyeball" mold was made from and compared it to my recent casts, and realized about NINETY PERCENT of what I had been filling in and sanding out as casting flaws were present on the original. The Weldbond/Polyfilla mix is picking up that minute a level of detail. I have posted a closeup pic of a raw Polyfilla/Weldbond mask above, showing just how tiny these flaws are, and by extension just how anal I can be.

I have decided that if I was OK with those little flaws on the original when I dropped the big bucks and sent it off to the moldmaker, that by dadgum I was going to be OK with those little flaws on the casts as well. I have made a solemn promise to myself that I will not fix any of them from now on.

Holy instant time savings, Batman!

1 comment:

Antony Galbraith said...

Funny, isn't it, how we artists let ourselves "get stuck" on such things. I am inclined to think that this is just a part of us refusing to complete a piece...since, if we never truly complete a piece, then we never have to face whether the piece failed or succeeded.
I am learning to become comfortable with "imperfection", after all, if it doesn't interfere with the integrity or lasting quality of the piece, who are we to judge what is perfect or not?
DoAn